Lime Associates secures European distribution for a US medical device business
8th May 2013
A Yorkshire business has helped a new company that has been spun out of global medical technology business, Smith & Nephew.
Sheffield based medical manufacturing consultancy, Lime Associates was engaged by Bioventus, a new business created between Smith & Nephew’s Biologics division and health technology equity investor Essex Woodlands, to establish a European supply chain for its medical devices.
Lime Associates Supply Chain Director, Steve Langron explained the background to the project; “The challenge that the Bioventus team faced was the need to build the capability to sell their products world-wide, independent of the Smith & Nephew infrastructure, but they lacked supply chain expertise.
Bioventus contracted Lime Associates to identify and negotiate with suppliers who could provide “third party logistics” services for its medical devices. We identified appropriate service providers in Europe, Canada and Australia and managed a competitive quotation process in each region to ensure that Bioventus benefitted from the most competitive rates possible.”
Bioventus’ Vice President of Operations and Quality, Anthony James was delighted with the outcome and said; ” When Bioventus was spun out of a larger organization into a stand-alone company, we found ourselves completely devoid of supply chain expertise. By contracting with Lime Associates, Bioventus was able to establish global distribution services in Europe quickly, efficiently and cost effectively. Lime Associates not only provided the labour and legwork to get the job done but they brought a missing expertise that allowed Bioventus to set-up quality third party logistics providers while building the appropriate internal capabilities. Lime Associates provided top notch work with detailed documentation that allowed clear and concise decision making.”
The first region to start implementation was Europe and goods are now shipped from a central location in Holland direct to hospitals in a number of European countries including the UK, Germany and Scandinavia. There are detailed plans to continue the roll-out to all European countries later in 2013. As Lime Associates identified service providers, Bioventus recruited permanent staff to manage the resultant global supply chain. Lime Associates has now handed over to the new recruits who will continue the implementation across Europe, Canada and Australia.
Categories: Supply Chain Management, Health Technology, Medical Device, Start Ups
- East Riding businessman invited to address national conference
- New group launched to address supply chain challenges facing medical companies
- How ethical is your procurement and supply?
- Case Study – Travel procurement project highlights over £660k savings per annum
- Case Study – An ERP project for multi-million pound medical company
- Sheffield medical technology consultants help Oxfordshire Medical Device manufacture to choose ERP System
- High praise for Lime Associates’ James Cooper at national med-tech conference
- November newsletter
- Tri-partite event unites medical purchasing and supply chain professionals
- Representing the client - the importance of trust in third party relationships
- Case Study - World carton board market interrogated to identify sourcing opportunities
- "Time well spent" - CIPS Health Technology Group Launch event
- CIPS Health Technology Launch Event
- Purchasing and sales - best of friends?
- Top 10 Tips for your next CIPS awards
- Specialist Health Technology Consultancy celebrates second successful year
- Lime Associates' Chairman on the Radio
- James Cooper's in the news
- One is the magic number for Lime Associates' Chairman
- New group attracts both global giants and SMEs
- Lime Associates negotiates hard to deliver recruitment savings
- New Group Launched to address purchasing and supply changes facing medical companies
- CIPS Health Technology Group Speaker Biographies
- Case Studies
- CIPS Professional Group
- Cost Control
- Cost Reduction
- Supply Chain Management
- Health Technology
- Medical Device
- Start Ups
- Lime In The News
Newsletter Sign Up
Enter your email address below to subscribe to our newsletter.