Purchasing and sales - best of friends?
14th June 2011
Ever thought about helping the business you work for? I don’t just mean to save more money, or negotiate great terms on a contract, or even helping out NPD with supplier selection. I mean helping out in a way that you probably haven’t thought of yet!I mean helping out your sales team! Sounds strange I know, but these guys are putting tenders together every day and trying to service customers every day. Who knows better how to do this than a Purchasing Manager! And what better way to align corporate objectives than to work together.
So how do you do it?
Start off by speaking to your sales director. Get them open to the idea of sharing practices. You can learn lots from them too, help you to understand what your suppliers are thinking when you place an expectation on them! When the sales director is on board I would suggest presenting some of your ideas to a subset of the sales team. Show them what you look for in a tender. Teach them some of your reasons for making changes; help them to understand the mind-set of a Purchasing Manager. Help one of them, or all of them with their next tender. Share some of the documentation you have received in the past, show them what was good and what was bad. Involve some of your purchasing team, and get them to open up, get them to share their experiences! And ask of the sales team to the same in return, you’ll be amazed at what you can learn.And of course this also will help you in other areas of Purchasing too.
As Purchasing Managers, we need the sales and marketing teams on our side, when we’re making enforced changes and when we have cost reduction ideas. Anything we can do to support these crucial relationships can only be beneficial.Try it. It won’t take much time, it’s only a few conversations after all and I’m sure you’ll see the benefits pretty quickly!
Categories: Cost Control, Cost Reduction, Training, Consultancy, Health Technology, Medical Device
- East Riding businessman invited to address national conference
- New group launched to address supply chain challenges facing medical companies
- How ethical is your procurement and supply?
- Case Study – Travel procurement project highlights over £660k savings per annum
- Case Study – An ERP project for multi-million pound medical company
- Sheffield medical technology consultants help Oxfordshire Medical Device manufacture to choose ERP System
- High praise for Lime Associates’ James Cooper at national med-tech conference
- November newsletter
- Tri-partite event unites medical purchasing and supply chain professionals
- Representing the client - the importance of trust in third party relationships
- Case Study - World carton board market interrogated to identify sourcing opportunities
- "Time well spent" - CIPS Health Technology Group Launch event
- CIPS Health Technology Launch Event
- Purchasing and sales - best of friends?
- Top 10 Tips for your next CIPS awards
- Specialist Health Technology Consultancy celebrates second successful year
- Lime Associates' Chairman on the Radio
- James Cooper's in the news
- One is the magic number for Lime Associates' Chairman
- New group attracts both global giants and SMEs
- Lime Associates negotiates hard to deliver recruitment savings
- New Group Launched to address purchasing and supply changes facing medical companies
- CIPS Health Technology Group Speaker Biographies
Newsletter Sign Up
Enter your email address below to subscribe to our newsletter.